Kittl: A site that lets you create vintage logos and labels


If you are a graphic designer who is suddenly confronted with having to design a retro logo or a label that asks for a no hold barred approach, needs every pattern, texture, flourish, all the typographic twists and turns and curlicues - and all correctly placed, no less - you may be quite intimidated by the task at hand. I know, I certainly would be.

Kittl is a truly astonishing online app that lets you create these complex types of logos. You start with one of their templates and then modify it to the point where it becomes something that you can declare to be your own. I am not sure how the attributions and copyright issues work, one would need to look into that before one takes it further. I only played around a bit, and yes it truly is remarkable how well this works. And yes, I am aware of all the label creator mockup sites and such, this is in a completely different league to those. 

And for that reason, I do not think that one can just wander in cobble something together with this. I do think that it needs some knowledge of graphic design history, particularly 19th century Americana and Victoriana, but also I think it needs an understanding of not only logo design but also label design of that period since most of these are based upon labels of that period.

Powered by Blogger.